Archive for October, 2011
Hematology and oncology are fields of medicine that diagnose, treat and prevent diseases of the blood and cancer as well as research them. Some diseases that are treated by doctors who specialize in hematology and oncology in Louisiana include leukemia and lymphoma.
Leukemia occurs when cancer attacks the tissues within the body that form blood. This can include the lymphatic system and the bone marrow. This disease usually begins in leukocytes or white blood cells. Although leukocytes function to fight off infection by growing and dividing in an orderly manner as the body requires them, those who develop this disease have large numbers of uncharacteristic leukocytes that do not perform properly, which are produced with bone marrow. Leukemia, depending on its type, can strike anyone at any age. There are types that mainly affect children and there are certain types that only affect adults. Normally this form of cancer is due to a mutation of DNA within blood cells. If this mutation occurs, cells begin to grow and divide at a rapid speed and while other healthy cells die off, these mutated ones continue to live. As time goes by, the mutated cells begin to overcrowd healthy cells, which result in the signs and symptoms of leukemia. Treatment depends on the type of leukemia as well as other factors. Among the common types of treatment that are used on patients with this disorder include radiation, chemotherapy, medications that target the cancer, biological therapy that assists the immune system in helping to find and fight the leukemia and stem cell transplants, which replace unhealthy bone marrow with healthy bone marrow.
Lymphoma is a cancer that attacks the lymphatic system, which is normally responsible for fighting off disease. Lymphatic systems contain the spleen, lymph nodes, bone marrow and the thymus gland. Cancer can affect the entire system including all of these organs as well as other organs in the body. Hodgkin’s disease is one form of lymphoma that attacks the lymphatic system. This occurs as cells within the lymphatic system begin to abnormally grow and gather in the organs of this system. As Hodgkin’s disease progresses, the body’s ability to ward off infection becomes inhibited, resulting in the development of tumors. Because the lymphatic system is located throughout the body, this form of cancer can spread through the lymph nodes to many areas of the body. Although this form of cancer was once considered a fatal disease, with advancements in diagnostic technology and advanced treatments, Hodgkin’s disease is now very treatable.
Asthma is a narrowing and swelling of the airways. They airways produce extra mucus, and breathing becomes difficult. The most common asthma signs and symptoms are coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. For some people, asthma symptoms are a minor nuisance. For others, they’re a major problem that interferes with daily activities.
Typical treatments for asthma usually includes an inhaler and in more severe cases using a nebulizer with different medications and sometimes oral medication .
The signs of asthma may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness or pain
- Trouble sleeping caused by shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing
- An audible whistling or wheezing sound when exhaling (wheezing is a common sign of asthma in children)
- Bouts of coughing or wheezing that are worsened by a respiratory virus such as a cold or the flu
Signs of severe asthma may include:
- More frequent and bothersome asthma signs and symptoms
- Increasing difficulty breathing (this can be measured by a peak flow meter, a simple device used to check how well your lungs are working)
- An increasingly frequent need to use a quick-relief inhaler
- For some people, asthma symptoms flare up in certain situations:
- Exercise-induced asthma occurs during exercise. For many people, exercise-induced asthma is worse when the air is cold and dry.
- Occupational asthma is asthma that’s caused or worsened by breathing in a workplace irritant such as chemical fumes, gases or dust.
Allergy-induced asthma. Some people have asthma symptoms that are triggered by particular allergens, such as pet dander, cockroaches or pollen.
Asthma may be caused by:
- Airborne allergens, such as pollen, animal dander, mold, cockroaches and dust mites
- Respiratory infections, such as the common cold
- Physical activity (exercise-induced asthma)
- Cold air
- Air pollutants and irritants, such as smoke
- Certain medications, including beta blockers, aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Strong emotions and stress
- Sulfites, preservatives added to some types of foods and beverages
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a condition in which stomach acids back up into your throat
- Menstrual cycle in some women
- Allergic reactions to some foods, such as peanuts or shellfish
If you have already consulted with your healthcare practitioner and been prescribed the typical treatments for asthma with less than satisfying results then you may be interested in an alternative and natural way to bring relief to asthma. This alternative modality is known as Energy Healing.
What is energy healing?
Energy healing is a technique by which the healing practitioner sends what is known as life-force, bio-energy, chi/qi, prana, zero point, reiki, or quantum energy into the area of concern in this case the lungs and air passageways. This energy has a fast acting anti-inflammatory effect as well as a lubricating effect on the affected area of asthma.
This type of healing has been found in almost every culture for thousands of years. In the US energy healing is still in it’s infancy though many of the top hospitals in our nation are now recognizing the value of energy healing and implementing it into their complimentary medicine programs. You may have heard of energy healing on the Dr Oz show. Dr Oz has been known to use energy healing during surgery as it speeds up the healing process before and after surgery.
I specialize in what is known as remote or distant energy healing. This type of energy healing can be done by phone, Skype or even email as strange as that sounds.
How does a remote energy healing session for asthma work?
You contact me via my website. I call you or email for a convenient session time. I call at the agreed upon time and get some history on how the asthma started for you. I ask you to rate your breathing restriction level from 1-10, 10 being the highest breathing restriction level.
I then begin sending energy into the lung area for about ten minutes. After the ten minutes I ask you for another breathing restriction level 1-10. Most of my clients notice a big difference in their breathing within the first ten minutes, typically a 20-30% reduction in overall breathing restriction. We then repeat this process several times over the course of the one hour session. Most of my clients report a 50-100% reduction in overall breathing restriction on the first session. Sometimes more sessions are required to bring the breathing restriction to zero.
Please understand that energy healing may not work for every single person. I do see a high success rate with most of my clients though. If you are suffering with asthma and would like to experience relief feel free to book your energy healing session now.